Bentonville Battlefield State Historic Site

On Sunday, I was given an assignment to travel to Newton Grove, NC to make images of Civil War life during a demonstration at Bentonville Battlefield State Historic Site. The Battle of Bentonville, fought March 19-21, 1865, was the last full-scale action of the Civil War. This major battle was the largest ever fought in North Carolina, and was the only significant attempt to defeat the Union army of Gen. Sherman during its march through the Carolinas in the spring of 1865. 

I had the luxury of staying as long as I wanted so I hung out for a good four hours that day, wandering from one end of the battlefield to the other, taking photos, asking questions and doing a whole lot of listening. The images below are three that ran in the paper. I liked that they were all tied together by smoke, but in completely different ways. You can view all the the images from that day right here. As always, thanks for looking.


No comments:

Post a Comment