POD: Day 361 | 8.11.12



These are the product of my first solo attempt at making tamales. Well, not 100% solo---just without my mother. With the help of Irene Koulianos, a fellow cook/food lover/"feeder of large quantities of people", and a few people who came and left throughout the day, we managed to make enough tamales to feed a village. It was difficult remembering all the steps and trying to assemble them just as my mother would. In the past I have been nothing but a helping hand while my mom steered the entire production and I stuffed myself with tamale after delicious, perfect tamale. After 10 hours of cooking, mixing, stuffing, tying and steaming, they were ready. While they looked great, there was something missing---as is the case when you try to replicate a mother's recipe. It will not deter me from trying again, although I might wait a few months before staging such a huge food production. As my mom told me "Why do you think we only make them on special occasions?"

No comments:

Post a Comment